Looking for an easy thrift flip with a big impact? This is just the project for you!
I found this adorable ceramic teapot at my local Goodwill a few weeks ago. I was immediately in love with the shape and look of it. What I didn’t love were the old earl gray stains down one side of it.
This teapot had clearly had a full past life… Items like this are my favorite kind of find to give second life to! I decided immediately that it was going to need a quick coat of paint and my first thought was, the obvious, white refresh. Normally, that is SO my go to, but in the few shorts weeks it took up residence on my bookshelf, I started to envision it differently. I instead decided it needed to be some sort of unexpected color, like maybe a bright, high gloss teal or a matte black. Then I remembered just how much I wanted to use my Matte Slate Grey paint again. For those of you who missed it, I recently gave second life to a tired old red basket with this color and was just obsessed with the final result.
Didn’t it come out great? It looks so high end now!
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. MEANING, I WILL EARN A COMMISSION IF YOU GO THROUGH THEM AND CHOSE TO MAKE A PURCHASE. PLEASE NOTE, THAT I ONLY INCLUDE LINKS TO PRODUCTS THAT I BELIEVE WILL BE HELPFUL TO YOU, NOT BECAUSE OF THE COMMISSION I RECEIVE. REST ASSURED THAT THERE WILL BE NO ADDITIONAL COST INCURRED TO YOU IF YOU CHOSE TO MAKE A PURCHASE THROUGH ONE OF MY LINKS.
Once the decision was made, it was quick work getting it painted. I washed it thoroughly with soap and water and let it dry fully and it was ready to go. I decided not to sand it before painting as it has so many nooks and crannies that it would be tricky to get to them all. Also, the Rusotleum paint claimed that it would paint/prime any surface. So, I took a chance….
I didn’t want to get any paint inside the teapot, so I taped off the opening with masking tape prior to the first coat of paint. This actually had nothing to do with my intended future use of the teapot, since I certainly don’t plant to use it a beverage vessel. I will mostly use it as a unique piece of decor and possibly sometimes a vase for real or faux flowers or greenery. But, none the less, I wanted it to have a clean and crisp look, so taping off the inside was a must.
Now, onto the paint transformation. Here it is after the first coat:
And after the second coat:
I actually ended up doing 4 coats in all, leaving generous dry time between each coat. Here’s the final result.
Not bad for a $2.99 thrift store find!
I have to say, I’m so in love with how this came out that I just might branch out and go bold more often…
Now, check out some of these other great Before and Afters from some of our other favorite bloggers.